Monday 17 June 2013

I'm off my Pinterest P-Plates!

I have over a thousand pictures on my Pinterest pinboards, so I think it's fair to say that I am off my P-plates now.  I love Pinterest, and visit almost daily.  However one gripe I have is that often illustrations and photos appear without their source/ creator's name on them, and I find this both annoying and worrying.  (And not just when it's my work!)  I guess it's a concern that goes beyond Pinterest and is applicable to the internet in general.  Having said that, I will do my best to acknowledge the sources of the pictures I have chosen to show here.  Above: Julie Hendriks/ Beerlala.
Above: Back to the Five and Dime.
Above: African portrait cloth from All My Eyes.
Above: Jean-Denis Malclès.
Above: source not available.
Above: Morito Toyonaga, The Art Room Plant.
Above: via Karen Horton/ Flickr.
Above: via Etsy, item no longer available (expired listing, damn!).
Above: from My Vintage Book Collection (in blog form)/ Flickr.
Above: the wonderful Emily Sutton.  I am a big, big fan.

4 comments:

Saskia said...

Really loving your pins Sandra. Wholeheartedly agree with you – I try to always include the source/ creator's name too. Occasionally re-pinners will remove it and add a smiley emoticon, or worse – a loveheart – instead. It does my head in!
Signed,
A fellow Pinterest addict.

Sandra Eterovic said...

Hello Sass!

As far as I -- and many others -- are concerned, you are the Queen of Pinterest.

I have noted that you make an effort to credit the person whose work you are pinning (including me, thank you).

I am always drawn to your pins!

Jo Grant said...

yes, Pinterest is a problem in that way. Re-posting can be ok if the re-post is from an original post that takes you back to the source. I always check if I re-post, whether it goes to the source or not. I also probably don't know what I'm talking about because I rarely look at Pinterest these days. I'm on too many social media platforms. Another thing I used to do is if there was no credit I'd make a comment asking what the source was. That 'educates' the pinners (I think?). I find the worst culprits are Tumblrs who Pin. In general I think Tumblrs don't believe in crediting an image or artwork/source. grr

Sandra Eterovic said...

I have no idea about Tumblr but I think it is really disrespectful of Pinners to remove the source in favour of a silly smiley face or worse.

I am looking at Pinterest a bit less too now -- perhaps the honeymoon is over?!