Sunday 25 November 2012

It's electrifying




Very, very indirectly inspired by the incredible work of Stephen Bird and Philip Eglin*, I decided to finally use the Pebeo porcelain paint that I bought about five years ago on some boring white plates that I had at home.  It felt as though I was painting with nail polish, and I haven't baked the finished plates yet, but overall I am quite happy with the result.  Plain white china at Sandra's house, look out!  (Unfortunately, although washable once baked, Pebeo's porcelain paint does not go well with food.)

*Comparing mass produced dishes + craft paint to the work of these fantastic artists would not just be insulting to them, but to anyone with a degree in ceramics, oops, sorry.....!!

------------------

LATER: still too scared to bake the plates, in case the thickly painted parts melt across the surface or splotch....if anyone out there has any tips and/or reassurance, please let me know!

7 comments:

Kim Baise said...

haaaa!!! wonderful!!!

Sandra Eterovic said...

Thanks Kim, good to hear from you.

Saskia said...

Gorgeous! I'd be too petrified to bake them too Sandra. Maybe they should become wall hangings. Seems a shame to cover their spunky faces with food.

Sandra Eterovic said...

Thanks Saskia for your lovely and generous comments! They are safely tucked away for now in the dresser where I keep my teacups. :)

Amber said...

These are awesome! I've didn't know there was special paint that could be bought to decorate porcelain. But it is always nice to be able to beautify something that is plain.

helicopter6 said...

I'm dying to paint/draw on plates myself, and applaud you for finally picking up those paints!! And they look fabulous (of course). I wouldn't worry at all about the Stephen's (love his work BTW) and ceramicists of the world! And yes, that journey to the oven would be a scarey one. Maybe do a quick paint on another plate to test it out first!

Sandra Eterovic said...

Thank you Amber and Helen -- maybe I will paint some more....after a trip to the op shop! Good to hear from you both.